20 Feb MARCH 15 – INFORMATION SESSION FOR FAMILIES ENGAGING WORKERS
March 15, 2018 Scarborough Region
1712 Ellesmere Road
On November 28th Bill 148, The Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, received Royal Assent and became law. Bill 148 affects everything from the minimum wage and public holiday pay, to how employees request scheduling changes, refuse shifts, and take leaves of absence.
Many families do not realize that this new legislation and employment law generally can apply to them and their relationship to workers they engage to provide supports to a loved one with a disability. Families face real risks if they don’t consider their legal obligations to workers or take steps to protect themselves and their families from liability.
Community Living Toronto is pleased to host disability and employment lawyers from PooranLaw who will deliver an in-person information and training session for people and families engaging workers for support. These sessions will review:
- The most significant aspects of the Bill for families in the DS Sector and the dates they will come into force;
- How you determine whether these obligations apply to your relationship with your worker;
- What your responsibilities are to a worker who is an independent contractor or an employee;
- What steps you can take to protect your loved one with a disability and your family, and ensure positive relationships with your workers; and
- Free resources to help you manage your worker relationship and ensure compliance with the law.
These sessions are FREE · Seating is LIMITED
RSVP online at mycommunityhub.ca