Out of Country OHIP Applications

Ontarians who have valid OHIP coverage can request that an out of country medical treatment or service be covered by OHIP if that treatment or service is:

  • Performed at a hospital or licensed health facility; and
  • Not experimental or for research or for a survey; and
  • Generally accepted in Ontario as appropriate for a person in the same medical circumstances as the insured person; and
    • Either not performed in Ontario by an identical or equivalent procedure; or
    • Performed in Ontario but the insured person must receive the services outside Canada to avoid a delay that would result in death or medically significant irreversible tissue damage.

Your Ontario physician must submit a “Request for Prior Approval for Full Payment of Insured Out of Country Health Services” form on your behalf to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care prior to the services being performed. The Ministry must provide written notice of their approval before the service or treatment is performed.

At PooranLaw, we can help you prepare and submit an OOC OHIP application. If you have already made an application, and have been denied, we can provide advice and representation to appeal this decision