Human Rights Claims

At PooranLaw, we serve clients with a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and personal circumstances to ensure that their voices are heard and their rights and interests are protected. We provide advice and representation to clients who have experienced discrimination, harassment or a violation of their human rights to help them obtain justice, whether that be monetary compensation or other amends.  This may involve representation in a number of different forums, including before the Human Rights Tribunal and in the Courts.

The Ontario Human Rights Code (“OHRC” or the “Code”) is the primary piece of legislation that protects human rights in Ontario. Human Rights Code

What does the Code protect?

The Code protects the right to equal treatment in certain social areas by prohibiting discrimination and harassment against people based on a protected ground.


Protected Social Areas include:
  • Services, goods and facilities (section 1)
  • Accommodation (sections 2 and 4)
  • Contracts (section 3)
  • Employment (section 5)
  • Membership in unions, trade or professional associations (section 6)
Services include:
  • retail, hotel, restaurant, medical, police, and public transportation services,
  • participation in volunteer organizations, organized sports, social clubs, drivers licensing processes, and
  • educational services, such as primary, secondary and post-secondary education, including those provided by universities, colleges, vocational schools and other educational institutions

Protected Grounds included:

race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, receipt of public assistance (housing only), record of offences (employment only) and disability.

The Code also protects the right of every person to claim and enforce his or her rights under the Code without the fear or threat of retaliation.


What can I get if I successfully sue the person/organization
that has discriminated against me?


If you choose to initiate a proceeding under the Code, your case will be heard by the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal (“OHRT” or the “Tribunal”). If the Tribunal decides that there was unjustified discrimination, it has the power to provide the following remedies:

  • Monetary compensation for injury to dignity, feelings and self-respect;
  • Restitution (other than money, to put you in the position s/he would have been had the discrimination not taken place); and
  • Order a party to take specific action to promote compliance with the Code (also known as an institutional or public interest remedy).

If you think you’ve been discriminated against in a protected social area because of a protected ground, then Contact Us to learn more about your options.